Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Santa's not real?!?

Last night I was perusing the web when I came across a discussion forum on the Wilton website. One particular thread was discussing unusual cake flavors. This post caught my eye:
"Hello. I own a bakery and when people request specialty flavors I use Lorann Oils or an extract. The amount depends on how bold you want the flavor to be. I only use DH Moist cakes so I typically use the white mix but for a banana cream I would use a yellow mix, it has a soft creamy taste to it..."
Did you get that? Maybe I should say it again...
"Hello. I own a bakery and when people request specialty flavors I use Lorann Oils or an extract. The amount depends on how bold you want the flavor to be. I only use DH Moist cakes so I typically use the white mix but for a banana cream I would use a yellow mix, it has a soft creamy taste to it..."
Are you kidding me?!? She OWNS a bakery and she uses Duncan Hines boxed cake mix?!? I started freaking out and read it out loud to hubby.

He said, "Wait, don't tell me you really thought that bakeries actually make all their stuff from scratch..."

So I decided to do some research and found this. Everything from cakes to donuts, cookies to croissants, all in an easy-to-use, just-add-water mix. Or if you don't have time to just-add-water, you can purchase the Frozen Ready-To-Sell varieties. Seriously. How many bakeries out there bake Nestle Toll House Break-Apart Sugar Cookie Dough, sprinkle some colored sugar on top, and sell it for $1.50 apiece? Or thaw out some frozen cakes, throw some icing on top, and sell it to you for $900 as a wedding cake?

Deep down, I know that bakers do more than just defrost or just-add-water, and that it is hard work and takes a lot of talent, but still...somehow, it seems like cheating to me.

I'm so heartbroken. I feel like a kid who has just discovered that Santa Claus isn't real.

No comments: